This is a blog for the strong, the determined, the wild. In the past ten years more than 100 have joined the triBE on a journey to BE strong, to BE fierce, to BE triathletes. We are dedicated to the belief that anyone can BE a triathlete and support each other in every endeavor. Our team members are all sizes, speeds, and ages. This is our story.

"When anyone tells me I can't do anything, I'm just not listening any more." ~Florence Griffith Joyner

If this isn't enough you can read more from me here: http://debcostello.blogspot.com/



Sunday, February 3, 2013

The grrRAWR of Frustration

 "Certainly, none of us enjoy going through struggles, but you have to understand that your struggle may be an opportunity for advancement and promotion.  The very thing you are fighting against so tenaciously may be the springboard that catapaults you to a new level of excellence.  Your challenges may become your greatest assets." ~Joel Osteen via Anne McCarthy
 
 
Thursday afternoon I had this conversation with my physical therapist, Maddie: 

Me:  Can I ride my real bike outside this weekend?
Maddie:  No.  You’re not ready.
Me:  Why?  I really want to ride.
Maddie:  If you have to stop quickly, you could twist your knee and undo all this work.
Me:  What do I need to be able to do to show you I am ready?
Maddie:  Get your range of motion back.
Me:  But I can’t get the swelling down to bend it, and I still can’t straighten it.
Maddie: 

Thursday was a bad day.  I was angry and frustrated.  It didn’t matter that 2 weeks earlier I couldn’t turn the pedal of a bike one time.  All I could think was, why is recovery taking so long?  So I took Friday off.  Instead of going to the gym, I went out with friends after work.  I didn’t do my exercises.  I didn’t stretch.  I didn’t ice my knee.  I pouted.  And played.  And got my head in a better place.  And then it was over. I began again on Saturday morning.

I met Donna Walker and Lori Hoover at 9am on Saturday morning to send them off on a ride.  It was 43 chilly degrees, but they went anyway.  Because they are awesome.  I went to the gym and did my best to ride "with" them.  12 miles in 51 minutes.  Pokey, but the best I can do.  And I made up that missed Friday workout Sunday morning.  Instead of sleeping in, I made arrangements to meet with Donna Walker so that I was sure to go.  I did my exercises.  I did my stretching.  I did core and upper body and finished out the week. I am icing my knee right now. 
Last week I made a plan.  I told you I needed to be accountable.  Here is the plan with my results:

·        This week I will train 6 days.  On Sunday I will spend time planning this week and making decisions.  (BOOM…  DONE!!) On Monday and Thursday I will do physical therapy for an hour.  On Tuesday and Friday I will go to the gym to lift and work on core for an hour and I will ride the training bike for at least 15 minutes.  On Saturday I will ride with the team. 
I did not do Friday’s workout until Sunday, and I could not ride with the team, but I completed all the workouts as best I could. 

·        This week I will add one serving of fruit to each day’s intake of food.
This did not really happen.  There were a lot of unusual lunch meetings and activities that changed my eating habits.  I need to keep working on this one. 

·        This week I will drink a glass of water in the morning before I leave the house.
Done.

·        This week I will do my stretching exercises and ice my knee daily. 
Skipped Friday.  Bad choice.  Pouting gets you nothing.

·        This week I will go to bed no later than 10pm. 
Thursday night I went to bed at 11:00.  Bad choice.  Pouting gets you nothing. 

So I wasn’t perfect.  I didn’t really do everything right.  And so today I will make a new plan and keep trying to make the decisions I need to make to move forward.  I need to try to make more good decisions again this week…  every week…  every day…

It’s so easy to let one bad choice derail you.  You think, wow I messed that up.  Forget the whole plan.  But that’s just stupid.  Every failure is an opportunity to do it right the next time.  Every mistake is a chance to learn about yourself and get better.  Don’t let a cookie derail your whole eating plan.  Don’t let a single frustration ruin your whole fitness plan.  Life is full of little disappointments, mistakes, and failures. 

Everyone fails.  What you do next says everything about you. 
Here’s your weekly inspiring video.  I know it’s 20 minutes, but it is truly AMAZING.  (Take a minute off from the game.) It’s the story of how someone with REAL disappointment handled things. 



Have a good week.  Make a good plan.  Get help to hold you accountable. 
Oh, and thanks for your help.

“And I got out of there without punching anyone, kicking anyone, or breaking down in tears. Some days the small victories are all you achieve.” ~Molly Ringle

No comments:

Post a Comment